Wednesday, April 25, 2012

One of R's favorite pastimes at the moment is to put things inside of other things and then take them out again. This, paired with a surprising accumulation of small, random toys & playthings, inspired me to make a set of small fabric bags for r to carry around, put things in and then empty out again.




For the fabric, I used some old liberty scraps I had with a solid cotton lining. I used a heavy starch on both layers to stiffen up the fabrics a bit and give the bags a bit of shape. The two layers are just tucked one inside the other and then sewn together at the top with a single straight stitch. I trimmed the top with pinking shears and I love how this simple finish mimics the top edge of the classic paper lunch bag. I'm not sure R will appreciate the detail.

2 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I could also see them on a desk with pens, paperclips, etc. in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Regan! That's a great idea. They were actually really easy and really fun to make - one of those projects you could just make over and over again. I wouldn't be surprised if I try to find uses for them all over the house just as an excuse to make more.

    ReplyDelete