Tuesday, January 29, 2013


needlepoint

needlepoint

needlepoint
Ok. So maybe it's a year later than I wanted it to be, but my gosh, I finished that needlepoint. I can't really believe I managed it, and find it even more unbelievable that I am feeling anxious to start another one.
The illustration is based off one I found on the website of Chris Silas Neal, but of course can't find again. I am not an illustrator, so I knew I was going to have to steal from someone else for this, but wasn't sure where to look. I browsed around a while, not really drawn to anything until I saw this, and I knew immediately it was the one. I really hope he doesn't mind.
needlepoint blocking
I was bouncing off the walls when I pulled the final stitches through, but when I stepped back to have a look at my work, my heart sank. The whole thing had gotten itself all stretched out of shape and I thought for sure itwas ruined. Do you see that slope in the photo above - devastating, right? Well, fortunately, wrong. This being my first needlepoint project, I had no idea that this is totally normal and all it needed was some good old fashioned blocking. Lucky for me, I am collector (hoarder) of craft books of all kinds and found a great tutorial in my Complete Guide to Needlework. A few simple steps, some major pulling and about 50 thumbtacks later, the piece was straight. Now all I have to do it get it framed. . . I'll see you back here with that in another year.

needlepoint blocking

needlepoint blocking


3 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! Congratulations on a job beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful work! I just started my cross stitch and at the rate I am going it is going to take me more than a year to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is gorgeous! it will certainly be a cherish heirloom :)

    ReplyDelete